Disclaimer: This is for information purposes only and should not be considered legal advice.
Every day hackers try to steal your money by emailing fake wire instructions. Criminals will use a similar-looking (but fake) email address and steal a logo and other info to make it look like the email came from your real estate agent or title company.
You can protect yourself & your money by following these steps:
- Call, don’t click: Verify all wiring instructions before transferring your funds. Call the title company using an independently obtained and known phone number. Don’t use phone numbers or links from an email.
- Be aware: It’s extremely rare that wiring instructions will change at the last minute, or that this information will be provided by email.
Protect Your Money
- Confirm everything: Ask your bank to confirm the name on the receiving account before sending a wire.
- Verify immediately: Within four to eight hours, call the title company or real estate agent to confirm they received your money.
What To Do If You’ve Been TargetedImmediately:
- Call your bank and ask them to issue a recall notice for your wire.
- File a complaint with the FBI at www.IC3.gov(link is external).
- Report the crime to your local FBI office.
Making a report within the first 24 hours provides the best chance of recovering your money.